Certain types of files can be uploaded to the wiki. This feature is useful for uploading images which you would like to place on a page.
Uploading a file
- Prepare the file on your computer in its final format. Make sure the file is exactly as you want it.
- In the sidebar, under "tools", click "Upload file".
- Click "Browse" next to the "Source filename:” to locate the file on your computer. (The "browse" button may have a different label depending on your web browser).
- Change the "Destination filename:" to something descriptive if necessary.
- Fill in the "Summary" if you want.
- Click the "Upload file" button.
File description page
Each file gets its very own “file description page” on the wiki. The page name will be
File: followed by the destination filename you provided. You can edit this page to provide more information about the file. For example, you could explain when the picture was taken or where the image was taken from. Any other useful descriptive notes could also be added there.
Using the file
After you've uploaded a new file, it doesn't automatically appear on any page -- not even the page you were on when you clicked on the "Upload file" link. You must decide where you want it to appear.
You can embed pictures and other images in a page. For instance, you may have uploaded a person's picture and want that picture to appear alongside the text on an article about that person. For information on how to embed images, see Help:Images.
Some file types cannot be embedded in a page, or the file may be an image that is so large it's only useful on its own page (for example a detailed map). Or you may simply be wanting to refer the readers to where they can download or replace the file. In each of these cases, you wouldn't want to embed the file in another page. You'd just want the page to have a link to the file description page (or to the file itself). For information on how to link to a file, see Help:Links.
List of files in the wiki
There are a few special pages to help you view and manage files which have been uploaded. Go to Special pages, and you will see:
- Gallery of new files - most recently uploaded files
- File list - shows all files
- Unused files - shows files which have not yet been used in a page