Every page on a Mediawiki site not only has information to show you but also allows you to move to other pages. This is called "navigation".
To help you navigate, every page on MediaWiki has three main navigation elements:
- The sidebar gives you access to important pages in the wiki such as Recent changes or Upload file. MediaWiki requires you to log in before seeing all of the sidebar options.
- Links (often called tabs) which relate to the page currently displayed: its associated discussion page, the page history, and, most importantly, the edit link.
- User links: as an anonymous user, you’ll see a link to create an account or log in. As a logged-in user you have a collection of personal links, including ones to your user page and preferences.
In addition to the standard navigation elements that each page has, a page will have its own unique information which appears in the larger main area of the page. Generally within this information will be links to other pages.
The sidebar is displayed on the left edge of the page below the site logo. This sidebar gives you access to important pages in the wiki.
Clicking on the logo brings you back to the main page of the wiki. The links in the navigation section just below will take you to important pages of the wiki.
The tools list contains a selection of links which change depending on what type of page you are viewing.
On all pages (except special pages)
- What links here takes you to a special page that lists the pages on this wiki which contain a link to the current page. This is helpful when you are looking for pages of related information. The "what links here" information can also be useful when you are moving wiki pages and need to check whether links to this page are still relevant.
- The related changes link lists all recent changes in the pages linked to from the current page. Recent changes to all relevant template pages are included in the resulting page list.
On all pages
- Upload file displays a special page that allows logged-in users to upload images and other files to the wiki. Uploaded files can be linked from or embedded in wiki pages.
- The special pages tool lists the MediaWiki special pages. A special page is one that presents information about the Wiki and/or allows access to administration activities for the wiki. For example, a list of users registered with the wiki, statistics about the wiki such as the number of pages and number of page edits, system logs, a list of orphaned pages, and so on.
- Special pages have
Special:in the URL.
- Special pages have
The page tabs are displayed at the top of the page to the right of the site logo. These tabs allow you to perform actions or view pages that are related to the current page. The available default actions include: discussion of, reading, editing, and viewing the history of the current page. The specific tabs displayed on your pages depend on whether or not you are logged into the wiki and whether you have administrator privileges on the wiki. On special pages, only the namespace tab (
Special page) is displayed.
Default for all users
- Namespace (Page, Special page, Help page, Template, User page, etc.)
- Edit (may read Edit source when VisualEditor is down)
Extra tabs for logged-in users
Extra tabs for administrators
The user links are displayed at the top far right of the page. These tabs allow the logged-in user to view and edit their user page and wiki preferences. Additionally, the user links allow the user to quickly access their contributions to the wiki and logout.
For anonymous users the user links is replaced by a link to the wiki login/account creation page.
- This links to your user page which is where you can put information about yourself, store bits of information you want to remember or whatever else you fancy.
- This links to your discussion page, where people can leave messages for you.
- Allows you to change your personal site preferences.
- A list of all pages that you are watching. Pages can be added to this list by clicking watch at the top of the page.
- A list of all contributions you have made to the wiki.
- Click this link to log out of the wiki.